Thursday, February 5, 2009

Intro (25 Random Things About Me)

I recently got tagged on one of those Facebook notes that says something like, "list 25 random things about yourself and post it on your notes page," and after finishing, I decided I also had the makings of a decent first blog post. So here are my 25 things:

1) I count steps every time I go up or down them. There are three up to my front door, four up from my garage, four down into my bonus room, sixteen up the back stairs, eleven (landing) then five up my front stairs, and six off my deck, though I only count five of them because the last one is really short. Back when I worked on the 28th floor of the queen building in Atlanta, we had a fire drill one day. There were 638 steps.

2) I once got stuck in an elevator that free-fell about a story and a half before the emergency brake stopped us. To this day, I still get a tiny bit nervous if there's an extended period of time between when an elevator stops and when the doors open.

3) Public restrooms with only one light bother me (especially in gas stations and fast food restaurants). I have this unfounded fear that the bulb will blow and leave me in the dark in some dirty, crappy public restroom.

4) I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with the NFL. I follow every coaching change, every trade, and every free agent signing. I can give detailed explanations of how the salary cap works and why contracts are structured the way they are. And given the opportunity, I'd watch the NFL draft from start to finish every year. I am also fascinated with sports statistics and how they correlate to the real game, to the point that I write my own software in order to prepare for fantasy football drafts.

5) I don't understand how anyone who's married or has children could doubt the existence of God. It's not within my abilities as a human to love my son as much as I do. That goes double for how much I love my wife.

6) I have a soft spot in my heart for campy 1970's and 80's slasher movies, and in its own special way, I think that Halloween 4 is the best of the genre.

7) I love to quote movies, and I miss my Atlanta friends who actually get the references.

8) I feel guilty if I have to hire someone to do something that I know how to do myself.

9) I firmly believe that the order in which ingredients are put on a sandwich affects the way it tastes.

10) I am father to the cutest son who ever lived. I will also be father to the cutest daughter who ever lived come late May/early June.

11) I hate driving cars with automatic transmissions. There's just something satisfying about rowing your own gears.

12) I enjoy making my own beer, and I can't understand why so many American craft brewers insist on ruining everything they make with copious amounts of Cascade hops.

13) I have been to the International Towing and Recovery Hall of Fame and Museum. You read that correctly. Not only is there a tow truck museum, there's also a tow truck driver hall of fame.

14) Some day, I will own a Porsche 911. One of the late 1980's turbos with the whale tail would be especially sweet.

15) Any proper vacation involves a good book, an extra-dry martini, and at least one trip to the hot tub.

16) I have two very large cats named Chloe and Otis. I love dogs, but for me right now, I think cats make better pets. There's something to be said about a pet that is affectionate, but that can also be ignored. (Of course, there's also something to be said for a pet that knows how to poop outside.)

17) I detest fluorescent lights, to the point that I almost considered my employment at Lithonia Lighting to be a moral compromise. I really can't stand the cold and lifeless spectrum of light that they provide.

18) My friend Jeff and I once drove two hours just to eat a cheeseburger. It was totally worth it.

19) The smell of a banana makes me sick to my stomach.

20) My wife used to be an awesome account manager, but now she's an even better mom.

21) My favorite dessert is what most people call "seconds."

22) As a young child, I once drank some bleach that I thought was lemonade. I haven't liked lemonade since.

23) I'm a fairly adventurous eater, and I'll try most things at least once, but I'm totally done with fish. I've tried various types of fish at varying degrees of freshness (up to and including, "I caught it a couple of hours ago"), cooked in a variety of ways, and it's always terrible. Regardless of what anyone tries to convince me of beforehand, it always tastes "fishy." I mean, it's right there in the name. By definition, fish tastes "fishy." So stop asking me to try it. I'm seriously never eating it again.

24) I became a Christian when I was sixteen, and while I know I'll never fully understand or comprehend the magnitude of the sacrifice made on that cross, I never thought the reality of that message could bowl me over again like it did that first time. But this year I sat in the Easter Sunday service holding my own 6-month-old son, and it was almost too much to handle. I can't imagine willingly sacrificing him for anything or anyone... especially someone as wretched and unappreciative as me.

25) I've contemplated starting a blog since before the word was even invented, but haven't gotten around to it for several reasons:
- I don't want to look back in ten years and see my name on one of several million abandoned blogs.
- I put a lot of time and thought into anything that I write, and I'm not sure that the effort will be well-spent on a blog that will probably have a readership of less than twelve people.
- I've always assumed that I would host my own blog, and I've never gotten around to setting a machine up for that purpose.
- I say to myself at least once a week, "if I had a blog, I'd write about that..." yet none of those moments have inspired me to actually start one.

2 comments:

  1. There's good stuff in here, you should definitely keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool post, Bro. It's fun to have a glimpse inside your head.

    May I suggest some follow-up ideas?
    25 things about parenthood
    25 things I love about my wife
    25 of the most wonderful things about my sister Karen
    Give me time to come up with more; I'm just getting started. :-)

    ReplyDelete